I love it when they think of others!

Charlie (4)  & my nephew, "Bear Bear", are best buds. They just LOVE each other.  They can spend hours wrestling, running around & watching How to Train A Dragon. They talk about each other in daily conversation & often get upset whenever we have to say goodbye.

On the way home from picking up the bigs from school, Jacob was concerned about why Charlie wasn't with us.  So, I took the time to explaining to Jacob about how Aunt Julie was thinking about her long family vacation coming next week. She was thinking about how much the boys already miss each other and wanted to sneak in a sleep over before their trip. She was very specific in explaining this to me - probably so I would be sure to make it a priority.  It was important to her.

Bella (3) exclaimed "I LOVE HOW AUNT JULIE & UNCLE DANIEL ARE THINKING OF OTHERS!"  She really did. She cared that Julie thought about her brother. She went on to explain that it was nice that Aunt Julie cares so much about Bear & Charlie's feelings.  This is what I love about parenting - teaching kids about how to think outside themselves.

One of my favorite things about my kids' school is their "I'm Third" focus: God is first. Others are second. I'm third. Nothing makes me prouder than when my kids' think of others: When Tashari is more excited about her brothers good school behavior than her own; when Charlie couldn't wait to tell grandma about how Henry went in the potty; when Jacob told me about how great it was when his team mate scored his first  basket at his game.

So I am grateful for my sister who is watching my son tonight, but I am even more grateful for the way she cares enough about him to consider how much he'd miss his cousin over the next few weeks.  I'm grateful that as we parent our kids intentionally, we have other people who love us who are joining us in thinking of others.

Comments

Popular Posts