Be a happy mom (or person...)

Being a joyful mom is rooted in my relationship with Christ.  Being a happy mom is rooted in what I do to take care of myself.  Here are some things I've learned to help me take care of myself (most of which I've learned the hard way).

1) Sleep.  For crying out loud - sleep, people! Cleaning your house, binge watching netflix & organizing your closets can wait.  I feel so much more energized when my house is in order, but not sleeping makes me cranky. Cranky moms are not fun for anyone. Go to sleep early, nap when the littles nap & you'll be much more energized to take care of the chores when you have a spare moment. 

2) Date.  A few summers ago when our Charlie was waking up every three hours for feedings, my husband Ben & I were having a hard time getting along. We easily got annoyed with each other, said hurtful things & pretty much ignored each other after the kids were in bed. Since staying married forever is our only option, we decided to figure out a way to remember that we like each other.  Weekly dates became a base line in our home.

We plan a date each week & are sure to spend time actually sharing our joys and struggles.  We have fun - we go to local restaurants and shops, we play games at coffee shops and dream about places we'd like to go.  We talk about our favorite things about life, each kid & each other.  We remember why we decided to do life together & we never regret the expensive babysitter or meal price tag.  Connecting & having a healthy marriage is simply the best thing we can do for our family.

3) Get away.  Every month, Ben & I each try to spend good time with friends.  I meet a friend for tacos & margaritas after the kids are in bed or Ben meets a buddy to watch a game, drink bear & eat wings. 

Also, every couple months (quarterly) we each get away.  Girl's day, men's conferences, weekend getaways together are each valuable.  Being encouraged by friends who make us be ourselves keeps our feet on the ground. 

4) Be spoiled. Find a way to find a moment to spoil yourself.  Get a massage, hair cut or mani-pedi. Eat dark chocolate when the kids go to bed. Buy some flowers at the market or spend the extra couple bucks on your favorite cheese. Do it.  These little things will go a long way. 

5) Be responsible.  Pay your bills on time. Complete your to do list. Wake up early. Serve others. Read God's Word. When you are responsible, you feel like you can conquer the world. When you have this confidence, do good with it.

6) Be grateful.  There is no way I could ever write enough thank you cards to cover all the ways people have blessed us this year.  Instead of trying to thank everyone, I try to write a thank you card weekly - something simple or sometimes even profound. (i know this is shocking.) We love to spoil selfless people - with meals, gift cards, extra tips, donating, and sharing our resources with others.  I never regret giving things instead of expecting people to ask for them. Being grateful is not only receiving, it is also paying it forward.  We show love to others as God first loved us. Giving is single handedly the most rewarding part of my life. Try it - it's awesome.

7) Forgive.  Forgive the guy who cut you off on the way to the bank.  Forgive your friend who said something rude.  Forgive people that hurt you in big ways. Maybe you even need to forgive yourself for raising your voice to your child out of anger or another a choice you regret.  Forgiveness is not suggested, but commanded in scripture.  Check out Ephesians 4:32

8) Pray. Then, pray some more.  When people ask me how I look sane as a mom of 5 kids between the ages 3-7 who were all recently adopted out of foster care, I clearly explain who deserves all the credit.  GOD.  He chose us. He led us to our kids. He (and He alone) is faithful to provide us with what we need.  He has provided us with support, encouragement & community. Our God is relational and desires to hear the cries of our hearts. He hears us. He shows up. It's not always the way I expect it or think would be best, but thankfully our Creator doesn't consult me on how to bless me - otherwise we'd be in big trouble.

The world lies and tells us we need more things, the next big life change or success to be happy.  We don't.  We need to focus on the blessings, the small things - the moments we would miss if we were focused on this world.  Comment below with things I missed - what makes YOU happy? 

Comments

Popular Posts