Adopted by The King

Today I had the privilege of witnessing some good friends of mine adopting their son.  After 10-15 adoptions I've attended over the years, you'd think I'd be able to keep it together.  Think again.

I kept it together until my friend, Kevin, who was adopting his little boy claimed - we are adopting because God first adopted us.  We adopt because of the gospel.  (My friend was much more eloquent, but you get the idea).

It reminded me of a song I learned from a kids musical I directed when I was in high school.  The lyrics that I have never forgotten and often sing to my kids:

I belong to Christ.  I'm in His family.
I'm his child - by faith and I know He lives in me.
His spirit guides my heart and leads me lovingly.
I'm free to be all that I can be.
I'm adopted. Adopted by The King.
(song by Celeste Clydesdale)

Beautiful words.

While we, as adoptive parents, never forget the pain & brokeness that has occured before any child is free to be adopted, we must recognize that adoption is beautiful.  It is in God's heart.  He adopts us because choosing to love the unloved is what He's all about.

Happy adoption day, buddy.  My dream for you (& all your siblings, my kids & the world really) is that you also chose to be adopted by The King.

Comments

  1. I still have my songbook, tshirt, and audio recording for that musical. I used to play it all the time when I was in the dorms

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Father Knows Best :) gotta love musical camp - thanks for reading, Naomi! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - did I get the words right? I was worried about it...I tried to look up the lyric/songbook online with no luck...

      Delete
  3. So that musical was being produced in the chapel in 1996 - the first day I ever walked in the doors, you guys were practicing. I have had your brother's voice in my head for TWENTY YEARS singing that song and I have sung it to my kids more times than I can count. I canNOT believe you remember it too!! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 totally. amazing - kinda ironic you remember Jeff singing that song. miss you! glad you'll be closer soon. hugs.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts