Summer.

While the kids and I were listening to some Disney music the other day (this is a frequent occurrence - we have a Disney obsession over here), the song from the movie Frozen called "Summer" came on.  If you don't have five little kids and know the song by heart, it is a song sung by a snowman who is dreaming of what Summer must be like. It made me really consider if I love summer as Olaf does...

After a few weeks of having the triplets to myself this May, I probably would've thought summer wasn't all its cracked up to be. We didn't get to go too many places because they were emotionally all over the place. Whenever we would go out, we'd have to pack up and leave early due to meltdowns & disobedience. It was a dark, difficult, discouraging month. 

June started out pretty crazy with a full week of me with the kids all day.  Thankfully, a bunch of friends and family helped with childcare for all the therapy/OT apts & going places with us so I wan't trapped in the house with my five little ones the whole week!  I'm so grateful for the incredible friends & community we have - especially on those hard weeks.  Thankfully our day camp started up right after that, so the "triplets' could get into a new structure and we were able to start getting a summer routine. 

The second week of day camp, we had the incredible help of our friend Teri who was brave enough to hold down the fort with the kids for a few days so we could escape to CA for a little getaway.  It wouldn't have been possible with our my mom who helped with the transport to camp in the mornings!  I'm so grateful for both of them.  We were able to visit family out there and check out Disneyland (for free)!  You know I love to talk about anything Disney, so hit me up if you want to hear more! :) 

Then summer school started & I got a few days with just the bigs and they have been rockin it out there.  They are loving being back with their friends and the awesome community.  I have never been more grateful for a school - my kids feel so safe & loved there. 

So, while I am loving time with the bigs and adoring our kids going to camp together, it is hard.  

I have had MUCH more time to myself - I have been able to measure in hours instead of minutes!  I've had time to catch up on the house, help our friends, write thank you notes and sleep a bit more.  It has been fantastic. I have enjoyed resting and recovering a bit from the past year as we have adjusted to being a family of 7. It was just so necessary to get time to actually consider doing the things on my non-urgent to do list. 

The summer is so fun, but so hard on the kids.  They have so much structure and predictability during the school year, the summer feels uncertain and it is significantly harder to be consistent because so many people are spending time with them instead of one teacher & us. We've had more meltdowns and early bed times, which is nice, but also has restricted us from being able to participate in summer fun together as a couple and family since at least one of us needs to stay home with the sleeping kids. 

I'm thankful for a season where I can actually mentally process so much more and recharge.  I've also been able to provide Ben with time "off" to be with friends or alone - its been nice for all of us. 

So, to all of you who are worried about us & have been praying for us - THANK YOU.  This post is for you! Please don't stop.  Know we need your support and encouragement, but even more we need you to walk alongside us. Come over for dinner, pray with us, take one of our kids along with your family for the day and encourage them - our gratitude for all that you have already done is overwhelming, but we still need you. You are what helps us remember it is all worth it - obeying God is hard, but watching the body of Christ surround us has been priceless. 

Comments

Popular Posts