Day Treatment

Last week, our oldest started Day Treatment (DT). He's going to the facility on the same grounds as the hospital he spent the week before last. When being able to come home from the hospital, they included a month or two of DT as part of his discharge plan. As soon as insurance approves it, our youngest son will also be starting DT at a separate facility with more age appropriate groups. He hasn't been able to stay in school and needs more observation and monitoring to help determine what he needs.

Adolescent Day Treatment is a therapy option provided to keep kids out of inpatient behavioral health (psychiatric) hospital stays. For kids with mental health issues. The kids issues could range from moderate to severe including social interaction issues, safety issues, medication monitoring/adjustments, developing coping skills, etc. Depending on the specific program, the kids go half or full weekdays with kids in their age group.

The different therapies include, but are not limited to: art therapy, individual therapy, group therapy, play therapy, yoga, pet therapy, etc. Each day our son learns new coping skills and how to safely and appropriately express himself in different situations. Psychiatrists will meet with him each week to see if his medications need to be adjusted, check his blood levels for side effects (with specific meds) and update prescriptions as needed.

Each day forms are sent home to find out what is happening at home and school so the therapists can talk about any new or re-occurring problems or behaviors. It helps evaluate if the skills learned in DT are being used by him in all environments. It is important to be sure he is not discharged from DT before he is able to cope and function in day to day life to avoid a readmission. Teachers and parents are required to daily report how the child is doing. His behavior for the four hours he is there is monitored closely and even minor things are noted.

While there is so much frustration I have with my kids' needing these services I am so grateful for them. We were able to tour my youngest son's DT location last week. I was filled with peace as I saw the intentionality in which the staff cared for the kids there. Each person that worked there saw him as a kid yet understands how to measure his mental health needs. They want to know how to equip our kid best for daily life.

In a weird way, it comforts me to know that my kids need these kinds of therapy. It helps me understand the depth to their trauma that I can not solve for them. I am very aware that I am not a therapist and that they can not be healed overnight from the trauma they have endured. There is a strange way I find comfort in knowing that the school also needs help. I am not the only one who struggles to contain him. No human can fix him single handedly.

Both of our boys have made such AMAZING strides over the past two years, but even in the last month. We have had so much growth. They are able to express themselves - my youngest has even started to talk! He was mostly non-verbal for anyone but me until his anxiety meds were prescribed. Now he is asking for help, crying (yay?) and able to say why he's making the choices he is making. It isn't everything he needs, but it is a start. Imagine what growth will happen with this intensive therapy?!

While I am obviously not thrilled about my kids being in Day Treatment at 5 & 9 years old, I am ready for them to get the help past what I can provide them in one hour a week in play therapy or even in-home therapies. Both of these have been CRUCIAL in their lives, but they need more. Since they have been attaching to me so well, they have received services for over two years as we've worked with almost a dozen different therapists, psychiatrists and psychologists. It is time to take the next steps and get them the deeper help they need.

Some days it makes me feel like a weak mom because I can't protect my kids or fix them. After hundreds of hours with therapists, it hasn't been enough. But most days I feel confident that this is what they need. I am aware of them needing more help and resources than I could ever provide them. I need back up. It was time to take this next step.

Comments

Popular Posts